Treatment for cancer not only takes an emotional toll, it can be physically very hard.
The PINC and STEEL/Strength After Breast Cancer exercise program provides individualised, prescribed rehabilitation to women and men diagnosed with cancer, helping them heal as well as possible and function at optimal levels through every stage of their treatment and recovery. Our program is dedicated to improving the strength, quality of life and sense of wellbeing of men and women diagnosed with cancer.
It is specifically designed to help maximise recovery, regain physical and emotional strength and improve body confidence and control.
Our physios are certified PINC and STEEL/Strength After Breast Cancer Exercise Physiotherapists and provide services including:
- Manual physiotherapy
- Physical and functional assessment
- Individualised Clinical Pilates
- Fatigue management
- Resistance training
- Exercise prescription
- Lymphoedema assessment, treatment and surveillance
Treatment aims to:
- Optimise physical and functional recovery
- Ease pain and muscular tension
- Regain strength and mobility
- Increase energy levels and improve breathing
- Strengthen core muscles and improve posture
- Reclaim body confidence and control
- Reduce treatment related side effects
- Shift focus from illness to wellness
- Prevent the onset of lymphoedema
Our physios combine many years of musculoskeletal physiotherapy with oncology exercise training to specifically be able to help men and women who have undergone treatment for cancer whether that involves surgery, chemotherapy or radiation.
- The research is undeniable! Exercise is so important for mental and physical wellbeing and quality of life.
- Cancer survival - exercise reduces risk of death by nearly a half.
- Ref: A review in May 2017 of more than 100 studies involving tens of thousands of cancer patients worldwide found mortality rates among those who regularly exercised fell up to 44%.The risk of cancer recurrence dropped up to 33% and the side effects of chemotherapy were also less pronounced.
- 150 minutes of moderate physical activity per week plus 2 to 3 resistance workouts is recommended.
Initial Assessment: $150 includes body composition scan
Individual classes: $110 per 45 min session
Group classes: $40 casual, $350 for 10 pack
Classes include education, stretching, strengthening, core, resistance, breathing/relaxation techniques
Claimable through private health fund